Wednesday 5 March 2014

Silhouettes and initial ideas

For BA5 I wasn't really sure what kind of character I wanted to create. The brief stated that the character had to be themed around one of the seven heavenly virtues, so I picked diligence, which is all about persistence and effort. I knew I wanted some kind of unorthodox design that doesn't immediately portray the virtue but when the character is put into its setting it starts to make more sense. This was so that I could create a more unique character and avoid a typical angelic theme.

I started by making the silhouettes, just making random blobs and using the pareidolia phenomenon to create shapes and characters out of them.





I decided to pick the silhouette on the last page, third one along of the bottom row. I quite liked the wasteland, ranger like appearance and figured I could make some kind of wanderer of a post-apocalyptic world who goes around helping people. My immediate thoughts of something similar was the Fallout series, so I very loosely took inspiration from it, being careful not to look too similar to the game's style while still making the appearance fit the theme.




I also took some inspiration from the upcoming game Destiny as I quite liked how the character designs looked. While the armour is shinier than what would b expected of a wasteland, it also looked like it had the kind of 'personal touch' that I would expect to see in such a game.




No comments:

Post a Comment