Thursday 6 March 2014

Sculpture

The sculpture took longer than I thought it would to create. It started off simply, creating the base body to work on. I used the ZSpheres to create the base model and then sculpted it into the shape I want, working from references of anatomy to try to perfect the form. I probably spent more time on this than I should have.

From there, I tried several different methods to try to make the clothing and armour. This was the part I really struggled with. At first, I tried making other base models, cutting them into the shapes I need and then building into them, but I couldn't get the hang of the cutting tools. After that, I then tried to take the model into Maya and make a base mesh of the general shape of the clothing and try to work from that. Again, I wasn't happy with the final outcome as it looked very low-poly compared to the rest of the sculpt and I still found it difficult to work with. I tried using the shadowbox method, but I just couldn't seem to make anything coherent with it. I was then shown the 'Extract' method, wherein you mask off an area of the sculpt, use the 'extract' tool and then that can be used to build into clothing. I was also shown the soft and hard polish tools for the hard surfaces, which I really struggled with. Once I understood the tools, creating all of the clothing and the character was much easier.

Turntable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZkkOkmUFQg

No comments:

Post a Comment